Saturday, September 3, 2022

Day 5 Ribidios to O Pedrouso

Stop/start sleep...but I'm no longer thinking of it as sleep...just rest. I'm not in the slightest bit "tired" except for the walking if that doesn't sound too much of a contradiction. Today outside my accommodation there is a directional sign (these are placed pretty much every junction...and at many points between those). The Camino from Sarria is EXTREMELY well marked. I'm not saying you "can't" get lost...but if your paying attention it's very difficult to.
So anyway..as you see from the marker...I have just over 40km to go. Some do walk this section in one day...but they are clearly abnormal!
It felt odd last night not staying in a small town...where I was was just a few hostels and private accommodations. So choices for food etc was limited. But I had my first "Pilgrim Meal" in the Albergue across the road....these are on offer for normally about €12 on production of your credential (pilgrim passport). Three simple courses...very good value. 

So finally set put at 5am and had 10km (well 50m shy) done by the first place that was open for breakfast...the usual. Just before (maybe 8km) there was a cliff wall on my left and about half way down it was festooned with small Crosses that people have etched in over the years. There was a small ledge and some stones, as always at such places, had been placed. There were also many Memorial Cards...so sad to see a picture of a beautiful young woman who died only last month aged 25. I stopped for a few minutes to pray, and as was was walking away, my first pilgrims of the day passed me. A middle aged couple from Milan...needless to say my Italian stretches to Pizza, espresso and pasta, which strangely enough were not subjects they seemed to want to talk about! She had a little English, and we all had "get by" Spanish so we were in some way able to converse.They said they liked to start early as they didn't like to meet people (what they meant was to avoid the crowds...but luckily I didn't take offence lol)

After lunch (9:50am is lunch time somewhere!) I met my Canadian compadres. Walked and talked for nearly 5km...it FLEW by.

A short day today and I arrived safe and well in my (once again) SPOTLESS accommodation. The man who runs it was extremely kind and helpful (even took the backpack off my back and put it in the room. I know it's not "everyone" but ALL I have seen over the past fews days from locals, service providers and fellow pilgrims...has been just simple kindness...and that is a beautiful thing indeed.

So just the usual routine, Pilgrim Mass is at 7 and it's about 500m away...after that bed awaits. Noreen asked me earlier on if I have more of a "pep in my step" knowing Santiago was in sight...there is zero pep and lots of steps...but I just said to her this journey is more like "crawling and bawling" than anything else! 

Tomorrow, please God, I will arrive at the Catheral. 


No comments:

Post a Comment