Thursday, September 1, 2022

Day 4 Palas Del Rei to Rivadiso

https://www.thethomashayestrust.com/home/our-story

I'm starting out this morning with a link to The Thomas Hayes Trust. Way back at Christmas, when Noreen gave me some equipment with a note that said "for your Camino" we had looked at doing this for charity. I've done some long distance walking/jogging (The Kerry Challenge for EB, Trailtreckers for Oxfam...and the Dublin City Marathon for Crumlin Children's Hospital). But I decided against it because "working from home" would make fundraising too difficult. But a few weeks ago when I posted that I was doing this I added a link to Teac Tom (The Thomas Hayes Trust). I worked with Angela at the time she set up the charity and I remember vividly when she and Alan were on the Late Late Show speaking about the unbelievable heartache of their family...and when she said the date of the anniversary (19th March) my birthday, in my head we were "bonded". I have done a little work for them to assist in any way I can...and say what you like about the downside of Facebook...adding that DONATION button is so easy. I am overwhelmed by your generosity...every euro counts. 
In recent months I lost a friend who whom life was just too much for...they are in my thoughts every step of the way. If you can donate that would be great...but please do open the link to read about their story and the work they do.

So...did I mention its 2am in the morning? 

Although I am settling "alarms" I'll wake when I wake. I slept for a few hours when I arrived yesterday and was asleep around 9. I might sleep on...I might not...we'll see how it goes. I am loving the early starts.

Today is looks like being fairly similar to yesterday in term of undulations and distance (slightly longer distance today). I was too late for the Pilgrims Mass last night but I managed to squeeze myself into the back to get the Pilgrims Blessing.

Before I begin todays travels I want to say a word about "stones". One of the driving inspirations to doing this was the movie "The Way" Directed by Emilio Estaves and staring his father Martin Sheen...it's "the" Camino movie...I watch it often...and cry in all the right places. He is given a stone at the start of his Camino and is told..."you'll know what to do with it". 
Traditionally on this route you place it at the Iron Cross (Cruz del Fuero) as a symbol of your efforts on the Camino with a stone from home. That place is beyond my starting point in the other direction, so I won't get that experience this time. However at many of the marking signs you see little piles of stones placed there by Pilgrims. Before I left Catherine and Ciaran had gone to my parents grave in Dublin and taken three stones, which they then got blessed....Needless to say I may have shed a tear or two when they gave them to me. 
I still have them with me. So my thinking is that one represents the intentions of my family members, of my friends and one for those who have departed. 

So started out at 4;45 this morning and it's now 9:30...14.5kms done...about 9 in darkness. Hard going for me as always and another 10km(ish) to go I'd say. Stopped for coffee/Crossaint/Fresh Orange Juice just before 6am...couldn't believe he was open. So far to here very few pilgrims have passed me...but this place is a busy large town, and I get another coffee, many are passing by now. 

Spent about 4km walking with a retired couple from London, Ontario Canada...I had seen them at all the Pilgrim Masses. It's their second one, the walked the last bit like I am, five years ago, and once they both turned 65 they set out from St Jean Pied La Port to undertake the big one. Walking and talking with others, for me, speeds me up (in a good way) and when they stopped to take refreshments and I parted ways I thanked them for their company and helping me to move just a little faster.

Later on I walked for about 2km with a lady from Norway (my Norwegian isn't "geat" but I could say hello..and her English was superb! Lol. We talked about our children, blisters (none for me so far..but she is "riddled"). 
I know when I'm getting to the end of my walking day  because I get overtaken by a group of 3 South Koreans, Spanish "bouncy people" with far too much energy for what they have done throught the day...we don't talk...but the simple act of wishing each other the traditional "Buen Camino" genuinely lightens your mood.

25km done 14:00 here in Spain...I have just 1km to go to my accommodation but I really needed to stop and rest for a bit before that final push. Has a little bit of drizzle about 2 hours ago...but it was lovely and refreshing.

Arrived banjaxed in my accommodation at about 14:45 - the last kilometre took 22 minutes!!! Anyway...safe and well. Quick shower and a call home and then  stretches/elevation/rest. Slept like a log for over 3 hours. So just washing and some dinner (no Mass here it's too small...even God doesn't know where I am!).
Rinse and repeat until tomorrow. 41km to go according to the markings...I think tomorrow is about 23km...but I like a surprise! 

No comments:

Post a Comment