Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Day 2 Sarria to Portomarin

Early to bed last night (that is my planned pattern over the coming days) has the downside of waking at 3am (naturally)  6 to 7 hours sleep is normally enough for me. My plan is to begin walking at around 6am each day to avoid as much of the heat, and to be able to break my day into two decent hikes of about 12km.
Last night I got my first Pilgrim Stamp in my "Credintial" (a Pilgrims Passport that you get filled in with stamps each day you are on the Camino (and twice a day in these last 100km). These stamps are unique to each establishment (churches, hotels, hostels, bars, restaurants etc). My host last night was so careful to ensure my first stamp was crisp and clear!
The first section today is a very steep climb in the town of Sarria itself, and the majority of the first half of today is uphill...meaning the second half will be downhill. 
So part 2 of my day I discovered that the "downhill" parts where infrequent BUT a steep killer on the tootsies! The last one is so steep (just before you arrive in Portomarin) they WARN YOU about in in the guidebooks. There was one man doing in backwards (it's about 1.5km) how he didn't trip up is beyond me...but he was wearing knee supports...so I assume this was easier for him.
I was in the dark (with headtorch) gor the first 2 or 3 hours. About 3km in my first human meeting (I met plenty of docile and bored cats and dogs). We walked and talked for a. few km and then we pulled apart as there was no way I could keep up even their slow pace. That's the beauty of the Way...no one expects you to walk at their pace, and no offence is taken or given when you part. 
Arrived at Portomarin around 1:30 after two short breaks, the first at about 10:30 at a donation. Food is set out in covered containers like see thru bread bins!
It is FREE just make a donation. Some of the Albergeques (pilgrim hostels) are run on this basis. If you cannot pay the polite thing is to offer to help in the kitchen or assist with the cleaning.
The rest of the day I am set to do some washing, get some dinner and (apparently) Pilgrim Mass in English (so much for me trying to learn some of the Spanish responses at 3am this morning!)
Tomorrow is the longest day I think (26km) but the gradients look a little better.
I meant to say Sarria is about the size (population) of Enniscorthy (but the lack of statues of 1798 is the main difference...and no Dunnes Stores).
Portomarin is 1/10th that size).
Still holding you all and your intentions with me ever single step.
(ps I am aware of some glaring spelling/grammar mistakes in these posts, and I fix them all when I get back)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great start for you..Bet those cats and dogs will also treasure the memories of walking aside ye..Way te.go Bro.x

    ReplyDelete